Saturday, February 7, 2009

Consequences of Punishment



According to National Family Violence Surveys over 90 percent of parents use some form of punishment that involves inflicting physical pain when discipline their children.After I read the Article Discipline, I think lot of parents do not discipline their children. Most of parents punish their children. What is worst those parents who punish their children do not know the consequences of the punishment. If they use corporal punishment or spank it can lead to emotional and behavioral problems. My question Why parents spank their children? I really do not know,but I think Is because they do not know what to do when a child misbehave. I also think most of the time parents spank or punish children when they are frustrate. We as adults know that all children misbehave at some time. Some children test the rules, others may throw tantrums, refuse to cooperate with family routines and the list goes on. Now the important part what to do. I think parents should teach children appropriate behavior. What the expected rules and boundaries are all about. Its important to remember the goals of discipline. Part of the goals are: help our children to develop self control, experience the consequences of behavior, and most important is they must learn from their mistakes. When I say experience the consequences of behavior I do not mean to hit them. When we hit them. What do they learn from us? they learn that is OK. to hit others when they mad. I am sure that that is not what we want they learn from us. Here some advice.Use Rewards. Positive reinforcement is the best technique for encouraging wanted behavior. Do not dictate, negotiate. Give the child a choice only when he or she truly has one.

No comments:

Post a Comment